The Physics Extended Essay is a research paper required for students in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme who are studying physics. The Extended Essay is an independent analysis project that allows students to explore a specific topic of interest in depth.
The Extended Essay in physics allows students to engage in scientific research, following the scientific methods and conventions, to discover, demonstrate and communicate their understanding of the natural world. Through this process, students develop research skills, critical thinking abilities, and the ability to effectively communicate their findings through writing.
The Physics Extended Essay is a requirement for students who are aiming to complete the IB Diploma and should be a scientific investigation of approximately 4,000 words that explores a specific topic related to physics. The topics can vary widely and can be experimental, theoretical, or historical. The student should be able to develop a clear research question, hypothesis, and methodology and should have a detailed plan for carrying out the investigation. The student should also be able to analyze the data and draw a conclusion based on the research findings.
Need help with your IB Physics extended essay?
You can also use our extended essay writers team’s services if you need assistance selecting a topic. Furthermore, we can also help you write your IB extended essay from scratch or edit your draft following the IB criteria.
Throughout the process, the student will be supervised by a teacher who is familiar with the subject matter and will provide guidance and support. The final paper will be assessed by an examiner who will evaluate the student’s understanding of physics and research skills.
30 IB Physics Extended Essay Topic Ideas!
Extended essay topics in physics can range widely depending on the interests of the student, the research resources available, and the specific requirements of the IB Diploma Programme. Some examples of extended essay topics for physics might include:
- A study of the efficiency of different designs of solar cells.
- An investigation into the effect of temperature on the electrical resistance of a metal.
- An analysis of the properties of electromagnetic waves in a transmission line.
- A study of the effect of magnetic fields on the behavior of electrons in a conductor.
- An investigation into the relationship between the strength of a magnetic field and the electrical current in a solenoid.
- A study of the energy transfer in a mechanical wave.
- An analysis of the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when a light beam passes through a prism.
- A study of the properties of various types of lenses and mirrors.
- An investigation into the effect of temperature on the thermal expansion of metal.
- An analysis of the relationship between the strength of a gravitational field and the motion of an object.
- A study of the energy transfer in a simple harmonic motion
- An investigation into the motion of electrons in a magnetic field
- A study of the impact of a cooling system in a high-performance computer on energy consumption
- An analysis of the effect of temperature on the properties of semiconductors.
- An investigation into the properties of different types of superconductors.
- A study of the impact of different geometric shapes on the efficiency of wind turbines.
- An analysis of the properties of x-rays and their medical applications.
- A study of the relationship between the frequency and intensity of light in a laser.
- An investigation into the properties of electromagnetic waves in the microwave region.
- A study of the properties of blackbody radiation.
- An analysis of the relationship between the mass and acceleration of an object in free fall.
- A study of the properties of waves in a quantum mechanical system.
- An investigation into the properties of electromagnetic waves in the visible region of the spectrum.
- A study of the effects of temperature on the electrical conductivity of different types of insulators.
- An analysis of the properties of a wave function in a quantum mechanical system.
- A study of the properties of different types of cosmic rays and their origins
- An investigation into the properties of gravitons and the nature of gravity waves
- A study of the properties of dark matter and its impact on the formation of galaxies
- An analysis of the properties of the Higgs Boson and its impact on our understanding of the universe
- A study of the properties of Hawking radiation and the information paradox in black holes
It’s important to keep in mind that it is important for the EE topic to be researchable, and the research question should be in line with the IB subject guide, this is to ensure that the research is to the level that is expected of the diploma students.
Students can use these extended essay topics in physics as a starting point for their own research. The key is to select a topic that is of interest to the student, and that can be researched within the scope and guidelines of the IB Diploma Programme.
Once a topic has been selected, students can start by researching the topic using various sources such as academic journals, books, and online resources. They should also consult with their supervisor, who can provide guidance and feedback on their research plan.
For these physics topics, the student can start by formulating a research question that is specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) and aligning it with the subject guide. They should then develop a research plan that includes a hypothesis, method, and list of equipment or materials required for the experimentation. The student should also make sure that their research plan is ethical and considerate of any potential risks.
The student can then conduct the research, taking careful and accurate measurements and recording their results. After collecting data, students can then analyze their findings and draw conclusions.
Finally, students should use the results of their research to write their extended essay, which should include an introduction, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It should be written in a clear and concise manner, following the guidelines and format established by the International Baccalaureate organization. The essay should also include a bibliography listing all sources used in the research process.
Throughout the process, students should keep in mind that the supervisor is there to help and should be consulted regularly to ensure that the research is on track and that any issues are addressed in a timely manner.
The Extended Essay is an important aspect of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. It provides students an opportunity to conduct independent research and develop critical thinking skills. In this response, I’ve suggested several physics topics that students could use as a starting point for their EE.
It’s important to select a topic that is of interest to the student and that can be researched within the guidelines and scope of the IB program. Students should also consult with their supervisor to ensure that their research question is SMART, ethical, and in line with the subject guide. They should also develop a research plan and conduct their research carefully and accurately, analyzing the data and drawing conclusions.
Finally, students should use their research to write a clear and concise extended essay that adheres to the guidelines and format established by the IB organization. They should also include a bibliography and list all the sources used in the research process.
Writing an extended essay can be challenging, and students may need additional help to ensure they write a successful essay. To overcome this, a student may seek help from an essay writing service, which can provide professional guidance and support throughout the research and writing process.