The International Baccalaureate (IB) Extended Essay is a 4000-word independent research project that is a mandatory component of the IB Diploma Program. It provides students with an opportunity to conduct in-depth research on a topic of their interest and demonstrate their intellectual and critical thinking abilities. The Extended Essay is a chance for students to showcase their research skills and knowledge in a particular subject area.
Purpose of Extended Essay in IB Program
The purpose of the Extended Essay is to encourage students to engage in independent research, develop critical thinking and writing skills, and gain an appreciation for interdisciplinary research. It also provides students with a valuable opportunity to explore a topic in depth beyond what is covered in the classroom.
Overview of Evaluation Criteria
The Extended Essay is evaluated based on several criteria, including the quality of research, critical thinking, and writing skills. It is evaluated by external examiners appointed by the International Baccalaureate Organization and is scored out of 36 points.
The evaluation criteria include the following
- The formulation of the research question
- The introduction of the topic
- The application of analytical and evaluative skills appropriate to the research question
- The appropriate use and citation of sources
- The demonstration of critical and independent thinking
- The quality of writing, including organization and expression
- The conclusion and its relation to the research question.
By adhering to the evaluation criteria and following the guidelines provided by the IBO, students can write a strong Extended Essay and achieve their full potential.
Choosing a Topic
The first step in writing a successful Extended Essay is to choose a researchable and relevant topic. The topic should be specific enough to allow for in-depth exploration but broad enough to provide scope for research.
Need help with your IB extended essay?
From research and analysis to structuring and editing, our skilled mentors will be by your side, helping you craft an exceptional extended essay that not only meets the stringent IB criteria but also reflects your passion for selected subjects.
It is important to choose a topic that is of interest to the student and aligns with their strengths and skills.
Importance of Selecting a Researchable Topic
Choosing a researchable topic is crucial because it will determine the success of the Extended Essay. A researchable topic should have enough existing sources of information for the student to conduct an in-depth analysis. The topic should also be relevant and of current interest to ensure that the essay remains engaging and relevant.
Sources of Inspiration and Ideas
Sources of inspiration for the Extended Essay topic can come from a variety of sources, including personal interests, classroom learning, and current events. Students can also look to previous Extended Essays written by their peers for inspiration. The IB Diploma Program also provides a list of subject areas that can be used as a starting point for brainstorming ideas. It is important for students to consult with their teachers and supervisors to ensure that the topic is researchable and feasible.
The research process is a critical aspect of writing your proposal, as well as of preparing to write an Extended Essay and requires careful planning and execution. It involves several steps, including:
- Formulating a Research Question: The research question is the foundation of the Extended Essay and should be clear, specific, and relevant to the topic being studied. It should also be focused enough to allow for in-depth exploration. The research question should be re-evaluated throughout the research process to ensure that it remains relevant and focused.
- Gathering and Evaluating Sources: The student should gather information from a variety of sources, including books, journal articles, and online sources. The sources should be evaluated for their relevance, reliability, and validity. The student should also assess the strengths and limitations of each source.
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Information: The student should take notes and summarize the information gathered from their sources. This will help to organize the information and make it easier to write the essay. The student should also keep track of the sources used in the research process, as this information will be necessary for referencing and citation later in the essay writing process.
The research process is a crucial part of the Extended Essay and requires time and effort to be done effectively. It is important for students to take their time with the research process and to seek guidance from their supervisor if needed. The quality of the research will have a direct impact on the overall quality of the Extended Essay.
Writing the Extended Essay
The writing process is the next step in the Extended Essay journey and requires careful planning and execution. It involves several key elements, including:
- Structuring the Essay: The essay should be structured in a clear and logical manner, with an introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction should provide background information on the topic and set the stage for the essay. The body should provide a detailed examination of the topic and support the research question. The conclusion should summarize the findings and provide a final evaluation of the research question.
- Incorporating Evidence and Demonstrating Critical Thinking: The Extended Essay should be evidence-based and demonstrate the student’s ability to analyze and evaluate information. The student should use the sources gathered in the research process to support their arguments and provide evidence for their conclusions. It is also important to demonstrate critical thinking by evaluating the strengths and limitations of the sources used and considering alternative perspectives.
- Writing Style and Tone: The writing style and tone should be formal and academic, using clear and concise language. The student should avoid using overly complex language and aim to make their writing as accessible as possible. It is also important to consider the audience for the essay and write in a manner that is appropriate for the subject matter.
The writing process is a critical aspect of the Extended Essay and requires time and effort to be done effectively. Especially when one remembers what is the word count for extended essay 😉 this is where the best time to feel a little nervous.
It is important for students to seek feedback from their supervisor and revise their work as needed. The quality of the writing will have a direct impact on the overall quality of the Extended Essay.
Referencing and Citing
Referencing and citation are essential elements of the Extended Essay and help to demonstrate the student’s ability to work with academic sources. It is important to understand the following key points:
- Understanding Plagiarism and Academic Integrity: Plagiarism is a serious violation of academic integrity and should be avoided at all costs. It is important for students to understand what constitutes plagiarism and how to avoid it by properly citing their sources.
- Adhering to the Specified Referencing Style: The Extended Essay should adhere to a specific referencing style, such as MLA, APA, or another style as specified by the school or program. It is important for students to be familiar with the specified referencing style and to consistently use it throughout the essay.
Referencing and citation are critical elements of the Extended Essay and should not be overlooked. It is important for students to take their time with this aspect of the essay and to seek guidance from their supervisor if needed. Proper referencing and citation demonstrate the student’s ability to work with academic sources and to maintain academic integrity.
Evaluation and Assessment
The Extended Essay is evaluated and assessed based on specific criteria, and it is important for students to understand the evaluation process. This section will cover the following key points:
- Understanding the Extended Essay Rubric: The Extended Essay is evaluated using a rubric that assesses various elements of the essay, including research, analysis, writing, and referencing. It is important for students to understand the rubric and to use it as a guide in their writing process.
- Strategies for Improving the Essay Before Submission: After the first draft of the essay is complete, it is important to revise and improve it before submitting the final version. This may involve seeking feedback from the supervisor, revising the essay based on feedback, and making sure that the essay meets the requirements of the rubric.
Evaluation and assessment are critical elements of the Extended Essay process, and it is important for students to understand the criteria used to evaluate their work. By understanding the evaluation process and using it as a guide, students can improve the quality of their essays and increase their chances of success.
The Extended Essay is an important part of the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, and requires dedication and effort to produce a high-quality essay. This syllabus has covered the key elements of the Extended Essay process, including choosing a topic, researching, writing, referencing, and evaluation.
- Some of the key takeaways from this syllabus include the importance of choosing a researchable topic, the need to demonstrate critical thinking and incorporate evidence, the requirement to use a specific referencing style, and the importance of adhering to the evaluation criteria.
- Importance of Dedicating Time and Effort: Writing a strong Extended Essay requires time and effort, and students should be prepared to dedicate the necessary resources to the process. By following the guidelines and strategies covered in this syllabus, students can increase their chances of success and produce a high-quality essay.
In conclusion, the Extended Essay is an important part of the IB program and requires a significant investment of time and effort. By following the guidelines and strategies outlined in this syllabus, students can produce a high-quality essay that demonstrates their ability to research, analyze, and write. Additionally, students who require assistance can seek professional help from a writing service.