An extended essay in Geography is a research paper written as a requirement for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. It is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper. The essay should focus on a specific topic within the field of geography, such as a geographical issue, phenomenon, or concept.
The essay should demonstrate the student’s ability to undertake and present independent research, as well as their understanding of the topic and its relevance to the wider field of geography. It is an opportunity for students to explore an area of personal interest and develop skills in research and data analysis.
6 Tips for Choosing Interesting geography extended essay topics
Choosing a topic for your geography extended essay can be a daunting task. With so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to know where to start. However, by following a few simple tips, you can select a topic that is interesting, relevant, and well-suited to your abilities.
In this section, we will explore some key considerations when choosing a topic for your geography extended essay, including choosing a topic that interests you, being specific, researching the availability of data, ensuring your topic is relevant, and consulting with your supervisor.
Additionally, we will also discuss the importance of thinking outside the box and choosing a unique topic that showcases your perspective on the subject. By following these tips, you can select a topic that will make your extended essay stand out and help you to achieve your best possible grade.
- Choose a topic that interests you: An extended essay is a significant undertaking, so it’s important to choose a topic that you’re passionate about. This will make the research and writing process more enjoyable and ensure that you’re motivated to complete the essay.
- Be specific: A good extended essay topic is specific and focused. Avoid broad topics that are too general or broad. Instead, choose a specific aspect of a larger topic and focus on that.
- Research availability of data: Before choosing a topic, research the availability of data in your area of interest. Your extended essay will require a significant amount of research and data analysis, so make sure you have access to the necessary information to support your argument.
- Make sure your topic is relevant: Choose a topic that is relevant to current issues or debates in the field of geography. This will make it more interesting and engaging for the reader and will help to demonstrate your understanding of the subject.
- Consult with your supervisor: Before finalizing your topic, consult with your supervisor or teacher. They can provide guidance on the suitability of your topic, as well as help you to refine your research question and focus your topic.
- Don’t be afraid to think outside the box: Finally, don’t be afraid to think outside the box and choose a topic that is unconventional or unexpected. This can make your essay stand out and show that you have a unique perspective on the subject.
There are some example research questions for the Geography IB Extended Essay.
To aid in simplifying the task of choosing a topic, we have compiled a list of 30 potential IB Geography Extended Essay subjects for your reference.
- How does urbanization affect the quality of air in a specific city?
- What are the effects of tourism on the cultural preservation of a World Heritage Site?
- How does deforestation impact biodiversity in a tropical rainforest region?
- How does sea level rise affect small island nations?
- What is the impact of dams and water diversion projects on river ecosystems?
- How does climate change affect coastal erosion in a specific region?
- What is the relationship between poverty and access to clean water in a developing country?
- How does urban sprawl impact wildlife habitats?
- What is the impact of coastal development on marine ecosystems?
- How does the use of renewable energy sources affect greenhouse gas emissions in a specific region?
- What is the relationship between population growth and food security in a specific region?
- How does urban renewal impact socio-economic disparities in a specific city?
- What are the effects of industrialization on air and water quality in a specific region?
- How does urbanization affect natural resource consumption?
- What is the relationship between transportation infrastructure and economic development in a specific region?
- How does afforestation mitigate the effects of climate change?
- How do urban heat islands affect human health and well-being in a specific city?
- What is the impact of mining on local communities and the environment in a specific region?
- How do traditional agricultural practices contribute to maintaining biodiversity in a specific region?
- What is the relationship between economic development and land use change in a specific region?
- How do oil spills impact coastal communities and the environment?
- What is the role of wetlands in mitigating the effects of natural disasters?
- How does urbanization impact crime rates in a specific city?
- What is the effect of industrial agriculture on soil health and water quality in a specific region?
- How does urbanization affect access to green spaces and its impact on mental and physical well-being?
- What is the impact of sea level rise on coastal cities and their vulnerability to natural disasters?
- How does globalization impact the sustainability of traditional livelihoods in a specific region?
- What is the impact of urbanization on water resources and water availability in a specific region?
- How does urbanization affect the spread of infectious diseases in a specific city?
- What is the impact of urbanization on the quality of life in a specific city?
Please note that these are only examples of research questions and it is always best to check with your supervisor/teacher for suitability and availability of data for your specific region of interest.
Need help with your Geography extended essay?
From research and analysis to structuring and editing, our skilled mentors will be by your side, helping you craft an exceptional extended essay that not only meets the stringent IB criteria but also reflects your passion for geography studies.
Students can use these research questions as a starting point for their geography extended essay. The research question will serve as the foundation for the essay and will guide the student’s research and writing.
Firstly, students can choose one of the research questions that aligns with their interests and knowledge. They can then use the research question to focus their research and data analysis on a specific aspect of the topic. This will help to ensure that the essay is well-organized and that the research is relevant and meaningful.
Secondly, students can use the research question to guide their literature review, which is an important part of the extended essay. The literature review should provide an overview of the existing research on the topic and demonstrate the student’s understanding of the relevant literature. By using the research question as a guide, students can ensure that they are reviewing the most relevant literature for their essays.
Thirdly, students can use the research question to guide their data analysis. By focusing on the research question, students can ensure that they are collecting and analyzing data that is relevant to their essays. This will help to ensure that the data analysis is meaningful and that the findings are relevant to the research question.
Finally, students can use the research question to guide the writing of their conclusion and evaluation. The conclusion should summarize the main findings of the research and demonstrate how they relate to the research question. The evaluation should reflect on the research process, including the limitations and strengths of the research and how it relates to the research question.
Overall, these research questions will serve as a roadmap for students throughout the research and writing process and will help them to stay focused and organized while working on their geography extended essay.
Ready to select your Geo EE topic?
In conclusion, selecting a topic for a geography extended essay can be challenging, but by following a few simple tips, you can select a topic that is interesting, relevant, and well-suited to your abilities. This section provided a list of potential topics, as well as research questions that can serve as a starting point for your essay.
By using these research questions, students can ensure that their essay is well-organized and that their research is relevant and meaningful. However, It is important to remember that selecting a topic and writing an extended essay is a time-consuming process and can be challenging for students.
In such cases, students can seek help from professional writing services. Writing services can provide students with expert guidance and support throughout the research and writing process. Some of the benefits of using a writing service include:
- Access to experienced and qualified writers who have extensive knowledge of the subject.
- Assistance with topic selection, research question development, and literature review.
- Help with data collection and analysis, as well as the organization and presentation of findings.
- Guidance with editing, proofreading, and formatting to ensure that the essay meets the required academic standards.
- Plagiarism-free, original, and high-quality work.
To sum up, by seeking help from professional writing services, students can alleviate the stress and pressure of writing an extended essay and increase their chances of success. They can be assured that their essay will be of high quality and written to the standards required by the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.