An Extended Essay in Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences is a 4,000-word research paper written by students as part of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. The essay provides an opportunity for students to conduct independent research on a topic related to sports, exercise, or health sciences and to demonstrate their ability to think critically and communicate their findings effectively.
An advisor must approve the topic, and an external examiner must grade the essay. It is a component of the IB Diploma program to help students develop research skills, and it can be a good opportunity to explore a specific topic in greater depth.
Choosing a Topic
Choosing a topic for an Extended Essay in Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences can be a challenging task. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start by brainstorming a list of potential topics. Think about what interests you and what you are passionate about within the field of sports, exercise, and health sciences.
- Narrow down your list by considering what topics are feasible to research within the time and resource constraints of the Extended Essay.
- Research the availability of sources for your potential topics. It’s essential to have access to enough information to support your research.
- Consult with your advisor. They will have valuable insights and can help you narrow down your list of topics and ensure that your chosen topic is appropriate for the Extended Essay.
- Once you have chosen a topic, create a research question that will guide your research. Make sure it is specific and can be answered within the scope of your essay.
Need help with your Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences EE?
You can also use our extended essay writers team’s services if you need assistance selecting a topic. Furthermore, we can also help you write your IB extended essay from scratch or edit your draft following the IB criteria.
Remember that the topic you choose should be something that you are genuinely interested in, as it will make writing the essay much more enjoyable and rewarding.
- The effects of regular exercise on mental health in teenagers.
- The impact of technology on physical activity levels in children.
- The effectiveness of different training methods for improving endurance in long-distance runners.
- The influence of diet on athletic performance.
- The impact of social media on body image in adolescent athletes.
- The effectiveness of yoga as a form of exercise for reducing stress.
- The effects of different types of stretching on muscle recovery and injury prevention.
- The impact of sleep on athletic performance in high school athletes.
- The effects of parental involvement on youth athletes’ motivation and self-esteem.
- The effectiveness of mindfulness training on reducing anxiety in athletes.
- The impact of video games on children’s physical activity levels.
- The effectiveness of strength training on bone density in postmenopausal women.
- The impact of music on exercise performance and enjoyment.
- The effects of different types of physical activity on cardiovascular health in older adults.
- The effectiveness of different types of physical activity on weight loss and body composition.
These topics can be used by students as a starting point for their research. They can use them to develop a research question and hypothesis and then conduct a literature review to gather information from relevant sources. They should analyze the data and draw conclusions based on the findings.
Also, they can use some of the topics to explore different aspects of sports, exercise, and health sciences to gain a better understanding of the field. These topics can be a great way for students to gain knowledge and experience in research and can help them develop critical thinking and communication skills.
How to write an Extended Essay on Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences successfully?
Start early: It’s essential to start working on your Extended Essay well in advance of the deadline. This will give you enough time to research, organize, and write your essay without feeling rushed or stressed.
Develop a clear research question: Your research question should be specific and answerable within the scope of your essay. It will guide your research and help you stay focused on the main topic of your paper.
Use credible sources: When researching, be sure to use credible sources such as academic journals, books, and reputable websites. Avoid using unreliable sources such as Wikipedia or personal blogs.
Organize your thoughts: It’s essential to organize your thoughts and ideas in a logical and coherent manner. Use headings and subheadings to break up your essay and make it easy to read.
Proofread and edit: Before submitting your essay, be sure to proofread and edit it for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. You should also have a friend, or family member read it over for you to get a fresh perspective.
Remember to follow the IB Extended Essay guide, including the format and the presentation of the research, and use the appropriate citation style that your advisor assigned. It is also recommended to keep in touch with your advisor throughout the research process. They can help you to stay on track and give you feedback on your work.
Avoid Mistakes When Writing an Extended Essay in Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences
Many students make a lot of mistakes when writing an Extended Essay on Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences. Here are the main ones:
Not starting early enough: This is one of the most common mistakes students make. Starting your essay early will give you enough time to research, organize, and write your essay without feeling rushed or stressed.
Failing to develop a clear research question: A clear and specific research question is essential for guiding your research and helping you stay focused on the main topic of your paper. Without a clear research question, it can be easy to wander off-topic.
Not using credible sources: When conducting research, it’s essential to use credible sources such as academic journals, books, and reputable websites. Avoid using unreliable sources such as Wikipedia or personal blogs.
Not organizing your thoughts: Organizing your thoughts and ideas in a logical and coherent manner is essential for making your essay easy to read and understand.
Not reviewing and editing your work: Before submitting your essay, be sure to proofread and edit it for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. It’s also helpful to have a friend, or family member read over your essay for a fresh perspective.
Not following the IB Extended Essay guide, format, and appropriate citation style: Failure to follow the guidelines and format can result in a lower grade or even disqualification.
Plagiarism: It’s very important to understand the concept of plagiarism and how to avoid it. Not citing the sources correctly or using someone else’s work without proper attribution is a serious offense.
By avoiding these mistakes, students can improve the quality of their Extended Essays and increase their chances of success.
Select Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences EE topic wisely
In conclusion, writing an Extended Essay on Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences can be a challenging but rewarding task. By starting early, developing a clear research question, using credible sources, organizing your thoughts, and reviewing and editing your work, you can increase your chances of success.
Additionally, it is important to follow the IB Extended Essay guide, format, and the appropriate citation style that your advisor assigned. Choosing a feasible and interesting topic is also crucial, and the provided 15 topics can be used as a starting point for your research. Remember that your advisor is always there to help, and if you feel overwhelmed or unsure of how to proceed, don’t hesitate to ask for help.
Furthermore, if a student is facing difficulties in writing an essay, there are professional writing services that can assist with research and writing, guiding the student throughout the process. These services can help ensure that the essay is well-written, well-researched, and meets the necessary standards.